Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day Paris!

It is definately different to be traveling on Christmas day.

The children never did wake up! Frank went to church this morning again and Notre Dame - I caught up with him when the children still did not wake up - and we went to St. Severin - St. Nicolas - the organ was amazing! I will need to remember to post a photo. It was a beautiful morning but getting chiller.

We headed back to the apartment fully expecting to find the kids up - nope. Frank and napped and hung out a little while till we realized we needed to get them up - a very cranky set of girls - who were not happy we did not wake them up to go to Disneyland in Paris. We finally headed out and took the Metro over to the Eiffel tower. It was very crowded in that area. I was not digging it.

The Latin Quarter where we are staying has a nice feel to it - many different resturants, shops etc. The Eiffel tower was purely tourists and now I remembered why I had the wrong notion from our last trip that the French were rude. No, the tourists are rude! Pushing shoving..geeezz...

I do have a funny tip. You get off the main street and there is a long line to get the tickets and go up the tower. I told the family to wait there and I went off to check out what the situation was. There was a much shorter line not too far away? I stopped at information and asked the nice man what the deal was? Why was online so much shorter? Was it different?

His reponse? Classic " Because people are STUPID, they get off the metro and get in que" LOLOLOL.

Alrighty then. I got the family and we waiting not very long to go up the to second floor. It was fun. :) What a treat - Eiffel tower on Paris. It was also C-O-L-D. The wind had picked up and we were chilled. We hung out long enough to take in the view and the sparkling lights! Yeah!

Hungry - we headed back on the metro towards the Latin Quarter. There are a series of streets that I am sure someone out there knows the name of - cobble stone, with Greek Resturants, shops, etc. Breaking plates and everything! We had an amazing Greek meal - wonderful food and service - OPAH! Music...VERY festive!

I will also add that I have read a lot that it is hard to find a resturant or anything open on Christmas in Paris? Not sure where those people have been but there were many choices for food - many - and even some shops open. I was able to go into one of the small stores by the apartment and get some staples. I will say having 6 persons in the apartment we are powering through things - no costco in sight :).

Frank, the girls and I headed back to the apartment. One aspect that I am certainly not French in is that I like to get up early and honestly come back early. Anthony and his friend Max of course stayed out. I told them that no such luck tomorrow for sleeping in...I am going to wake them up and we are going to Versille .

We meet some charming ladies from Charleston - man they were a hoot! All in the fur coats, I thought they were straight out of the old TV show "Designing Women"! But I am every thankful as they said that Bruge was a must do so now the family is starting to bite... although the lovely dames said it was the "Venice of France" - I gently pointed out it was in Belgum - she waved me off with a swosh of her hands... alrighty then! LOL

I hope each of your Christmas was delightful! I it is just 12:00 noon I think in California - so I pray that you have fabulous days!

au revoir for now!

Dawn

2 comments:

Suzanne Lowry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Tribe said...

Such fun to read... living vicariously through you! Keep up the great work & photos.
Can't wait to read about versailles!!!!!!!!
xo