Saturday, January 3, 2009

Details for my travel friends

Thought I would share some specific details for my travel friends that like the nitty gritty! :)

AirFrance was wonderful. I have only flown American Airlines and Airfrance on international flights and the difference is worth noting. I was very impressed with Aifrance. Free flowing wine, a lot of food, many snacks, tvs with every seat (this was of course in coach, with all the movies you can watch), great service over all. I highly recommend them. I know that many of you, like myself travel on miles - and American Express transfers into Delta miles and you can use them for Airfrance flights.

Our apartment was in the Latin Quarter, at 16 Rue des Ecoles. It was rented through VBRO #112368. It is a "real" 3 bedroom, but would not be a great for 3 couples. It would good for a family -
pros:
location - we loved the left bank and the location so close to St. Germain and to the Notre Dame and several Metros was fabulous.
Rental Agency - Stacey was great - easy to work with using Paypal from the states to pay
Size - good size for the location and the price
Elevator - there is an elevator (small of course) if you want to avoid the stairs
Washer/dryer for small items

Cons:
The wood floors made a LOT of noise and you could hear everything. Limited amount of privacy due to this.

The caregiver that Stacey works with was difficult - example - he told me I had to be out on Jan. 2 by 8:00 am because there was another family arriving at 11:45 am.

I pushed back and said "No, that was unreasonable" and he said okay 9:00 am. In the meantime, Stacey emailed me and asked if we would not mind being out by 10:00 am - I told her that was great and shared the conversation with Henry.

Henry still proceeded to show up at 9:00 am - even though he had received and replied to an email from Stacey. He was actually rude to me.

Food - We did not have any fabulous dining experiences like many who go to Paris. Due to the high number of people with us - we ate in bistros and cafes and less expensive places. We had a great meal at the Rose de Sommerland. It was a small Chinese place on Sommerland that was recommended off the Fodors board. It was excellent. We often ate in and enjoyed that as well.

Metro - GREAT! I do not think we ever fully figured out how to make the most of it cost wise - there are less expensive passes etc.

Museums - PLEASE get a Museum pass! You will quickly forget the extra cost as you breeze past the que lines - seriously - I cannot over state this. Even though many would be free for the children, we purchased the pass and I have not one moment of regret. We did the four day pass and used it every one of those 4 days. It was a little tricky with the holidays falling during our stay.

Weather - it was cold. Period. I did not bring long underwear for myself and should have. So should have Frank. Frank has said he would not go back when it is as cold as it was. I would. There was something special about it...cannot put my finger on it. It rained, snowed, the sunshined...

Medical treatment - Tessa as many know, had to go to the Dr. I ended up taking her to the American Hospital in Paris because it was a Sunday night. I think I could have taken her to any hospital in retrospect. They told me they could not treat her in ER because she was under 18? Okay. They ended up with someone there who could see her. There is a number you can call and have a Dr. come to your house - Michael Orsman (amazing tour person) said it is the Magic Dr. :) LOL http://www.sosmedecins-france.fr/

I am sure I will think of more but wanted to share that for now.

4 comments:

Our Tribe said...

can't WAIT until i can actually USE these tips Dawn!!!!!!!!
welcome home.
xo,
Stacie

Dawn's Travels said...

:0) I love that city my friend...

LauraHix said...

Glad you are home safe!!! Hope Tessa is feeling better. I loved reading about your adventures! Sounds like you had a wonderful time

Dawn's Travels said...

Laura - great to "see" you here :)